[FRIAM] Optimizing for maximal serendipity or how Alan Turing misdirected ALife

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu May 28 09:19:14 EDT 2020

For my part, I think both the "adjacent possible" and any distinction between inter- and trans-disciplinary are confused concepts. The clearer conception surrounding serendipity lies in the distinction between formal and informal (not formal vs. intuitive, but related). An equivalent (I think) conception is "flex and slop", which I think is attributed to Dennett, and (again [sigh]) Feferman's schematic axiomatic systems. I've been struggling to find a good way to express my contrary perspective to your post (On 5/26/20 7:20 PM, Jon Zingale) where you *seem* to go completely formal. My intention was to imply something *informal* ... sloppy, badly formulated, etc.

The inherent problem with the inter-/trans-discipline, Dave's polymath, and Jochen's fools outside one's house, concept [†] is that there does not exist a complete and consistent formalism capable of informal generation/construction. Only informal systems can do the constructing.

Of course, "informal" is ambiguous. Does it mean "only broken in one spot" ... "a slightly incongruous composition of formal systems" ... "integrationist Rube Goldberg assemblages of formal systems" ... "a radical resistance to all formalization" ... "a mishmash of confused nonsense"? Etc. The primary task of AI and ALife is to find out just how informal we *must* be to sit back and call something "intelligent" or "alive". And this lands squarely in the long, practical, tradition of finding out just how informal we *must* be to, say, build a good bridge, fly to the moon, or bake a tasty loaf of bread.

[†] Concept, singular. The implicit assertion being that all those are the same thing, the same mistake. I can reword my complaint as "There are no 'disciplines.'" "There are no houses." The concept of polymath *might* escape the category if Dave chooses to consider "learned"/"knowledge" as a massive noun ... where one can increase their learning by ε even as ε→0. But if there are disjoint domains, then polymath is in the same category.

--
☣ uǝlƃ