[FRIAM] Covid and Politics

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu May 28 11:05:20 EDT 2020

Marcus wrote:

> What if it is like the cold?

    I assume you mean by this, "what if there is only limited residual
    immunity?"

cody  wrote:

>> I had what I think is a great idea for herd immunity. What if the
>> government were to open overnight summer camps, and even pay for
>> every kid to spend 1 month canoeing, camping, and most importantly
>> catching covid. This way they could gain a herd immunity so that
>> school could safely open in September.

    And issue t-shirts that say:  "I survived COVID19 Camp 2020!" and
    maybe a tattoo in a visible location?  (I'm wondering if recently
    back to work tattoo artists are beginning to fulfill tattoo
    commissions on a COVID19 theme?)

    Yours was my first instinct when the college crowd was passing it
    around at Spring Break early in the curve....   keep the beach-towns
    open and provide lots of free/inexpensive services to those who
    commit to staying in place and going through their infection cycle
    in-place.   At the time, it looked like that demographic was not
    particularly prone to strong symptoms requiring hospitalization.
    They could all nurse one another through like they do for
    hangovers... a 2 week hangover I guess... and then as they
    demonstrate that they've been through the full cycle and are (very
    likely) no longer infectious then they can return to their
    communities with an obligation to pick up the high-risk-of-infection
    tasks that other more vulnerable people should/might not.

    Huge number of unvalidated assumptions here of course!

    My dystopian version of your (Cody) idea would align with deep-state
    conspiracy theorists who might liken this to the kinds of Nazi
    "brown-shirt" exercises back in the day, enlisting children to
    (sometimes) turn their parents/family in for questionable
    behaviour/talk/associations.   A month of "programming and
    propoganda into a neofascist liberal agenda!!!!!!".     Although at
    this point, it is *more* likely that Red State/Red Hatters would be
    the ones to send *their* kids to Christian COVID Camp with all of
    the same features my dystopian view suggests but with a couple of
    bits flipped.   I can now see pitched canoe battles in the middle of
    the lake between the red-team and blue-team camps... it might help
    with mixing the COVID strains (tongue-in-cheek) that might be
    evolving in these two otherwise mutually isolating populations.

bumble,