[FRIAM] Metaphor [POSSIBLE DISTRACTON FROM]: privacy games

uǝlƃ ☣ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri May 29 09:59:20 EDT 2020

Well, to be clear, I "offered" 100s of thousands of metaphors. THAT is the point of my response to Nick's bias-imputing *choice* to cherry pick only 4 out of those thousands. That's the pattern in pretty much every one of these "metaphors everywhere" tangents we take.

And my more recent comment to Nick applies to this post as well. I'd believe we're engaged in some sort of "role of metaphor in <placeholder>" discussion if and only if the "<placeholder>" were being talked about. But we're not talking about the "<placeholder>". We're not talking about the context (which was "privacy games" writ large -- but I'd be happy to talk about the role of metaphor in *any* particular context as long as the context was actually maintained as a core part of the discussion [†]).

But no. Instead, we're talking completely abstractly about _metaphor_ *regardless* of context. It's a purely hypothetical exercise in ungrounded theory (where I use "theory" quite generously).

[†] Steve's recent comments *do* begin to seem interesting with the "sensorial grounding out" and the comments about direct and indirect maps from tacit vs. formal knowledge because he wraps it context (like tennis vs. soccer). Even there, though, I'm not very interested. These useless tangents have convinced me that the overwhelming majority of the uses of the word "metaphor" are markers for sloppy thinking. Y'all have installed a trigger in me that only decades of therapy will remove. >8^D Forever more, when I hear "metaphor", it'll be like quantum woo, every time some patchouli wearing psychonaut says "entanglement", I get a bit nauseous. Now that happens with "metaphor", too.

--
☣ uǝlƃ