[FRIAM] "higher" education

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Fri May 29 14:20:42 EDT 2020

I don't know if my attitudes have an objective basis, or if I am just
envious of folks whose degrees are from Ivy League schools. My father had
only a sixth grade education and my mother eighth grade, and Dad never
earned over two dollars an hour, so an expensive University was out of the
question. So I went to Kansas State University in the 1970s and early 1980s
and got what I thought was an adequate education (BS in Biology and MS in
Computer Science) spread out over nearly ten years. In-state tuition, no
doubt subsidized by the State of Kansas, was between $500 and $1000 per
semester. Working as a software engineer, my salary was always somewhere in
the mid range, and I didn't mind. I think my career was more rewarding to
me than if I had incurred huge debts at a more top-tier University in order
to get higher paying jobs. I guess my point is that higher education could
be a whole lot more affordable without throwing out the face-to-face model
entirely.