[FRIAM] Science Commits Suicide (yes, another trolling headline)

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri May 29 20:11:26 EDT 2020

I agree, Gary,

I wasn’t at all speaking in a disingenuous code, about censoring or other.  I meant what I said, as I said it.  It happens that, as part of the general pattern of the world’s being set on fire around our ears, there seem to be explosions today about twitter and power-trolls etc., so it seems inescapable, in a post of the kind I wrote, to need to state explicitly that I am on the side of open expression by people who have demonstrated that they are indeed there as part of the support for a good community.  Dave can troll, and I can call bullshit on the rare occasions that there seems to be any reason to do so.

I fully appreciate that there is a lot of the merry pirate in Dave, and that he is an elegant and well-formed writer, and much more fun to read than I am.  I have followed several of his threads, and used material he has brought.  I would be sorry to lose that.

I also recognize that there are jerks in the world, and that there are power structures that give cover and a developmental scaffold to jerks, and that like any other power structure, social conventions around science can get coopted for that.  Like racism, that needs to be understood as a problem for everybody, or else we don’t feel the right weight of responsibility to correct it.  But if one really wants to be helpful, it is good to start to get specific and be a bit careful.

I think my sense of the discussion is well summed up in a link somebody sent me
https://www.facebook.com/413132078795966/posts/2793699517405865/ <https://www.facebook.com/413132078795966/posts/2793699517405865/>
The list lives in the overlap of social community and real relations.  It’s okay for people to object to specific things they think are a problem; that’s part of the dynamically maintained community.

All best,

Eric