[FRIAM] Metaphor [POSSIBLE DISTRACTON FROM]: privacy games

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sat May 30 21:41:39 EDT 2020

Continuing along the line of presenting possible case studies in *privacy*
(or knowing another's mind), I submit the following:

As many of you know, D&D podcasts have become all the rage with the kids
these days. Arguably, king among these is the Critical Role podcast. For
the last five years, this group of professional voice actors has streamed
their home D&D sessions every Thursday. Since the lockdowns and in lieu
of their regularly scheduled campaign, they post a weekly game of
Narrative Telephone <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvsJDG4WRzQ>.

First, a participant thinks up and recites a story. Once finished, they send
a video of the story's performance to another member. The next participant
watches the video *exactly once* and then in turn passes a video of their
performance to another. This process is repeated until it iterates through
the entire group, each attempting to steelman(?) the story they hear.
Finally, the group assembles and listens to each take in order. All the
while giving a *Mystery Science Theater 3000* critique/show-and-tell of the
performances. Included here is the 4th attempt, each attempt offering more
opportunities for analysis than I feel I can post about alone. It is amazing
to get the opportunity to see how bad they (and likely we) are at capturing
the essence of another's narrative. Stories seem to reach a *thermal*
*equilibrium* within two steps, and like thermal equilibrium, one can
be surprised to find details recovered that were lost in earlier tellings!

Jon