[FRIAM] journalists

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Sun May 31 02:33:33 EDT 2020

I'm not a journalist, but offer my opinion in any case:

a) Accoriding to Forbes
https://www.forbes.com/sites/federicoguerrini/2020/05/30/dozens-of-msn-journalists-to-be-replaced-by-robots/#14c9ff97333e
,
Microsoft does not produce their own stories, but uses editors to select
and adapt stories from other sources. They are replacing staff with AI, but
because they don't have journalists, they're not replacing journalists with
AI.

b) I know it's opinion only, but IMO in a reasonably short time most
services and products will be provided with a fraction of all humans, AI
and automation will do the balance of the work.AI selecting news stories is
one example, Another example is, although Elon is probably not going to
meet his schedule with full self-driving cars, the probability is
reasonably high that he will achieve it in say 5 years. This is going to
cause massive unemployment - drivers are not going to learn to code, and
coders are being replaced by AI in any case too. If you're not a top
programmer, your employment prospects are not secure. Our challenge is to
adapt. I'm not American, but if America should elect Andrew Yang (maybe
2024?) as president then America could lead the world in adapting for a
world where there are not conventional employment opportunities for all.