[FRIAM] Covid and Politics

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Sun May 31 13:41:18 EDT 2020

Cody, Nick, et al.

Part of my concern with a *white van* or *relying on herd immunity* approach
is the side-effect health risks associated with Covid-19. From a Johns
Hopkins article
<https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/what-coronavirus-does-to-the-lungs>
:

*"People who survive ARDS and recover from COVID-19 may have lasting
pulmonary scarring."*

In analogy with some arguments made about an individual's right to control
their personal data, individuals *should* have the right to control their
own
health. When we volunteer to risk our future health, there is room for a
*compensatory* argument. Even if Covid-19 is like data in that it wants to
be
free, we *ought* to recognize that such a sacrifice *should* be rewarded
and with
full disclosure as to the potentially lifelong health risks.

Jon