[FRIAM] What's in a name? MOTH to a Flame

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Nov 2 11:24:39 EST 2020

When I interviewed at Microsoft, one of my interviewers was Charles
Simonyi, the originator of what is called “Hungarian”. It is a small
set of rules and a bunch of prefixes used to encode type information in
variable and function names. For example, ‘lpszName’ is the name of
a long pointer to a zero-terminated string. It doesn’t work well when
there are a lot of user-defined types, such as C++ classes. I was
unaware of this before the interview.

The interview included implementing a function on a blackboard. At some
point I muttered that the hardest part of programming is coming up with
names. I think I became a shoo-in at that point. (I still do believe
that about names).

—Barry