[FRIAM] election eve

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Nov 4 16:16:05 EST 2020

I appreciate this point of view.  In 2016 it seems like there was a lot
of rhetoric about "vote in your own best self-interest" as a way to try
to increase turnout or focus on why any individual should take voting
seriously.

Working at LANL for 27 years I heard *way* too many people there voting
for War Hawks because it was "good for (nuclear weapons) interest" which
was good for the lab's/county's budget... etc.

I've never voted for my specific self-interest (supporting school bonds
because my kids were of school age or against them because I had none or
they were done with that) but with an idea toward a larger self-interest
of "what kind of world do I want to live in?"...   which has progressed
with age from one where perhaps there was a lot of scrappy scrapping
going on where I could "get ahead" to one where "as few people are under
acute stress and misery as possible such that everyone (human and
non-human everyones) rises to be their best selves".   I know this is
very Pollyanna at some level...   But I so much prefer to ignore my
baser instincts of "greed and fear" in deference to something a little
more "enlightened".

I have always been appalled by the admonition "If you are not liberal
while young and conservative when old, there is something wrong with
you".   I refactored it to "idealistic while young and practical when
old".   My *practicality* says that my life is improved by the lives of
my family, friends, neighbors, and beyond being improved, and as Marcus
reflects here, that works mainly/only/best for those of us NOT living
under dire threat of privation of abuse, but I would claim that the bulk
of that "threat" is an illusion in the first world.   We all have spare
capacity to "rise above" if we choose to.

- Steve