[FRIAM] against hysteria in all forms

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Nov 4 18:07:32 EST 2020

Dave West wrote:
> Drugs biggest winner of the election. Every measure in every state/municipality won by at least 5%.
and does that translate more broadly in (y)our mind(s) to an expansion
of personal liberties that Dems and Libs (if not evangelical and
traditional Conservatives?) can agree on.
> And divided government means nothing gets done.
>
> there are silver linings in every cloud.

Divided government *also* represents checks and balances, as well as an
opportunity for coalition building and seeking win/wins.    My
Civics/American Government has been tuned up a little by this last 4
years, but it is still weak and I feel like the assumptions of our
governance has shifted radically starting sometime I cant identify...

As much as I was enamored of the possibility of the Dems getting a good
strong 100-day/2-4 year open-field run to undo some of the more
structural/specific damage Trump/McConnel have done, but to maybe make a
run on a "Progressive" agenda, although I am very suspicious of certain
aspects of "progress" (mostly those representing the neo-liberal POV
stylization of progress)?   I'm not sure I really know what I'm talking
about here...  I feel rather under-educated right about now.

> Other than issues from recounts, especially in Wisconsin, I doubt the courts will have much say in deciding the election.

Which is why I'm very glad that Pennsylvania is not expected to be
critical...  there is a lot more fodder for Trump's whining and
wheedling to the courts.   Trimming off absentee ballots already in hand
yesterday and counted by today is a lot less obvious than what PA is set
up for...  (not blaming them).   I was *really* worried that PA was
going to be an excuse for us to all find out if
Roberts/Kavanaugh/Barrett were in line to replay their 2000 roles in
spite of having been advanced *out* of them.

-Steve