[FRIAM] Guided Apophenia

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Nov 12 11:44:37 EST 2020

Yes, it was all very meta-meta and as you say rabbit-turtles all the way
down the turtle hole... I found the self-exemplary style effective in a
disturbing way.  I don't know if that is what you meant by "hard to
read"... keeping track of the extra levels of indirection (with the risk
of infinite recursion)?

I was left also with the paradox parallel to "good guys with guns" of
wondering at the idea that anyone can (and many do) engage in guided
aphophenia, and in fact that seems to be the basis of all (effective)
rhetorical discourse?   Who do we become if we begin to deliberately
manipulate the belief systems of others "for their own good".   Is
politics anything else but that?   But I can't help wanting to make it
my next mini-career... to set up mini whirlwinds of anti-cyclonic
conspiracies to collide with the cyclonic ones being spun by the likes
of Q (individual or collective).

Your reference to the little evidence, etc. leads me to another new word
I encountered: "Aeteology" in the tongue-in-cheek usage of your own
oft-lobbed "just so stories".   Is there any difference between a "just
so story" and "a conspiracy?".   Intent?  Consequence?
Convergence/Divergence?