[FRIAM] Will Biden Absolve Trump’s Criminality in the Name of ‘National Unity’?

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 10:20:25 EST 2020

What galls me is the idea that *accountability* is somehow partisan. McConnell and his ilk, maybe even Barr, are pushing aside norms to game the system. And that's fine to some extent. If we don't do something about the nomination stalling tactic, emoluments clause, electoral college, etc. that's the typical stupidity of trying to execute by committee.

But, presumably, some of the actions were actually illegal. Even the most hardcore Trumpian should be willing to accept that we have to go through some sort of prosecutorial triage and decide what was a crime and what wasn't, what's worth prosecuting and what's not, etc.  ... not some Benghazi-style, endless tongue wagging, but a relatively swift triage by a committee of experienced, relatively neutral AGs (or is it AsG?). We already have both the Mueller report and it's sibling released by the Rs. And we have bullet lists put together by various outlets to cover other domains. Such a committee could triage that in a month or two, I'd think. Any particular action that survived that triage could be considered for further investigation.

The prior *model* used by the triage committee to make these value judgments would be: the health of our democracy. If a given action isn't a clear threat to that, then it's cut from the list. If it's all cut from the list, then fine. Print the justifications in the damn newspaper. End the committee. Move on.

I don't care if Trump goes to jail. I care about the damage Trump2 would do.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ