[FRIAM] Trump as a victim

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:06:40 EDT 2020

Glen,

I don't think of empathy as something that you gin up; it either happens to you, or it doesn't.  And then you decide what you want to do with your empathy.  As a child, perhaps,, did you ever read any of Ernest Thompson Seton's (no relative) Lives of the Hunted?  The wolf, terror of the Corrumpaw (?), wily killer of sheep, evader of traps, lies before you in a cage, wounded and helpless.  You feel empathy.  And so you kill it.  Anybody who tells you that you should feel empathy lacks empathy for your lack of empathy.  I WILL feel empathy for Trump when he's tried.   I dread those trials.  In fact, even watching him twist and lie and twist and lie, watching him contort, makes me queasy inside, like  watching a man tortured.  But empathy, like rage, is just another emotion, and needs, like all emotions, to be tempered with reason.

Nick

Nicholas Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/