[FRIAM] Fwd: UC Berkeley's Jennifer Doudna awarded 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 16:52:45 EDT 2020

---
Frank C. Wimberly
140 Calle Ojo Feliz,
Santa Fe, NM 87505

505 670-9918
Santa Fe, NM

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Dean Michael Botchan <bioscigiving at berkeley.edu>
Date: Wed, Oct 7, 2020, 2:30 PM
Subject: UC Berkeley's Jennifer Doudna awarded 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry
To: <wimberly3 at gmail.com>

To view this email as a web page, go here.
<https://view.our.berkeley.edu/?qs=e0c1032cc1106e37f7e964206fb18c3a69af0ff9f5f075f3dc251beec5bffafa5a16ca4ed4e845e1c651bc49277bcacfa93e1a61d8e34941eeb034dc61fc7fc43b25b6995d61d67dc51259296e65f2f9>

Dear Friends of the College of Letters & Science:

You may have already heard this incredible news, but I am thrilled to share
with you that UC Berkeley’s Professor Jennifer Doudna was awarded the 2020
Nobel Prize in Chemistry *“for the development of a method for genome
editing.”* She shares this award with Professor Emmanuelle Charpentier of
the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology in Berlin.

Jennifer, who holds joint appointments at Berkeley in Molecular and Cell
Biology and Chemistry, is an exceptional scientist, whose capacity to solve
important scientific questions at an atomic level is balanced by her
unsurpassed knowledge of the life sciences in general. The extraordinary
and well-deserved honor of the Nobel Prize reflects her brilliance,
ingenuity, and deep dedication to human health and the ethical use of
scientific discovery to improve life on this planet.

Jennifer and her research team have toiled untold hours to perfect
CRISPR-Cas9 and to pursue applications that serve the public good. I am
proud of Berkeley’s long partnership with Jennifer, and I wish her all the
best as she continues her groundbreaking work. We will be with her every
step of the way.

Please join me in congratulating Jennifer Doudna on the tremendous honor of
her Nobel Prize in Chemistry. For more information, you can read the
Berkeley press release *here
<https://click.our.berkeley.edu/?qs=5456ab78f135b33d975574e85476614cf5cc6ff9e3968689577ef45c49389951fc14466ff9c0a91ab6d0cd35900e1efd5975a09458cade0a>*
.

*CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing and how it works - with Jennifer Doudna
<https://click.our.berkeley.edu/?qs=5456ab78f135b33d07c79af1208df12aee6de280f59575035843c23a2b841bab645da32640a31d4d55fdff620a715bc543173d84423cfe06>
Watch Jennifer Doudna's Nobel Prize Press Conference
<https://click.our.berkeley.edu/?qs=5456ab78f135b33d4ff14942605d2dc9e9994fa2031e7dc6d5565dd5de0af1fb3cba332ebb037df2ba194872d8840b0e51933bcf89ea66a6>*

Sincerely,

Michael Botchan
Dean, Division of Biological Sciences
College of Letters & Science, UC Berkeley

Copyright © 2020 UC Regents. All rights reserved.

Update Preferences
<https://click.our.berkeley.edu/?qs=5456ab78f135b33d424b9aa8640b548392063e07460bed77a4b9ea6140a5c2a407a757451f4368429b999e0aa6094f027e24b060a1b9b9f2>

This email was sent by: College of Letters & Science | 101 Durant Hall |
Berkeley, CA 94720 USA