[FRIAM] Simulating Cloud Dynamics at Interactive Rates

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Oct 9 12:16:02 EDT 2020

and me, still excited about Ken Perlin's  "Perlin Noise" work applied to
*visually convincing* cloud dynamics circa 2007.

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/5694143

I think this general topic/point is a good study on the
difference/utility of "visually compelling" models vs ones useful for
*prediction* or even *understanding*.   I suppose *explanatory* comes in
one level of abstraction beyond those two?   In the case of clouds,
"what kinds of physical processes can we intuit from the specific
structural features our visual system is prone to identify?"

Pirk's work in this domain is very compelling, not just the
clouds/plumes but his general work in the domain of "semantic
segmentation of images".    The residue from (or inertial trajectory
of)  Mapillary's acquisition by FaceBook is something I'm trying to
follow.   Does this blunt or diffract their work, or re-energize it, or
do the heavy-lifters from Mapillary go forward into new ventures in this
area?

This all has implications for human visual perception... I haven't
checked in recently on the work being done by Gar Kenyon's group at LANL
(formerly PetaVision) but it seems likely they are converging.

- Steve