[FRIAM] now it's personal

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 12:23:46 EDT 2020

*modernist trigger warning*

Of those modernists, it was ironically the structuralists (IMO) that opened
this door that cannot be closed. Arguably, postmodernism (in particular
Derrida) became a scapegoat for what Godel had already established 30 years
earlier. The struggle mirrors only too well the immediate reactions of those
mathematicians entrenched in Hilbert's dream. To this day, many in the
mathematics community avoid a direct gaze and hold the belief that there is
nothing to see there. Of course, I always wonder where Nick or EricC might
stand with respect to CA and modernism. Every open sub-object, a glider or a
metabolic system, is entailed by the CA and not the reverse. To speculate, I
suppose Peirce would say that the universe is all *seething dog vomit* with
but a few islands of temporally-local persistent patterns recognizable by
us. OTOH, we need not be concerned by every possible CA, just the trajectory
that we are on.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/