[FRIAM] high turnout and tight races?

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 11:43:58 EDT 2020

My incompetence is overwhelming. But I have found a couple of peer-reviewed articles that reflect Roger's point about reduction from high-dimension to low-dimension [⛧], which doesn't imply Nick's misrepresentation of what Roger said. But it does imply that high turnout elections will be less *predictable*. And by being less predictable, you're left with estimating the distribution of closeness of the outcome.

So, if there are more points in the outcome space that are "not close", then "not close" is the higher probability.

But I *think* the causal links between turnout and closeness are swamped by other things like anti-incumbent bias, lesser of 2 evils, and the partisan effect Gary raises.

[⛧] This is the primary thing I think about when considering instant runoff, the algorithm for reduction. But if/when we made such a change, this whole area of statistics about elections might explode into ruin. My Conservative homunculus objects! How can we mine old research if you suddenly change the reduction algorithm? Screw the inhuman consequences of our current system. Better the devil you know.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ