[FRIAM] Getting You Libertarians' Goats

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:39:57 EDT 2020

Dave,

Ontology, schmontology.  As others have pointed out, mine is just a trivial
logical point.   Let the self (Sx) be any kind of thing (Tx) at all.  Let
assembly be a process of putting things together to make a new thing.  S1 +
T1 = S2 + T2 = etc.  At each point the self that is assembled is not the
self that is assembling, no?  I think, on the whole, it would be better if
we spoke not of self assembly, but of scaffolding where something external
to the structure being formed, facilitates the formation of the structure.
So at each stage in the assembly, the previous stage "scaffolds" the next.
White smokers scaffolded the formation of life. Life scaffolded the further
evolution of life.  The genome is a scaffold for natural selection.

Nicholas Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

 <https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/>
https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/