[FRIAM] high turnout and tight races?

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 20:23:33 EDT 2020

"I've always heard that tight races lead to higher turnout" that is true!
Though it might be better to say that the perception of a tight race leads
to higher turnout.

However, other things can also lead to high turn out. Rampant polarization
of the population with a media-induced frenzy of urgency. If the number of
people on each side of the polarization is uneven, then the larger the turn
out, the better the chance the final count reflects the population
discrepancy.

<echarles at american.edu>