[FRIAM] Fwd: SAR Connects Weekly Digest: Getting Published, Slow Archaeology, and more

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Fri Oct 30 11:45:02 EDT 2020

Scroll down to "Listen."

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: School for Advanced Research <multimedia at sarsf.org>
Date: Fri, Oct 30, 2020, 8:01 AM
Subject: SAR Connects Weekly Digest: Getting Published, Slow Archaeology,
and more
To: Tom Johnson <tom at jtjohnson.com>

*Issue 31*

*Friday, October 30, 2020*
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578317&isbbox=1&pid=0>

Drawing from the artists and scholars in the SAR community who help us
better understand our own humanity, *SAR Connects* delivers inspiration
directly to you at a time when inspiration is needed the most.
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244600578&isbbox=1&pid=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619619&isbbox=1&pid=0>

*McGirt v. Oklahoma*

This week SAR welcomed Angela Riley and Jonodev Chaudhuri for a deep dive
into the US Supreme Court *McGirt v. Oklahoma* ruling. The case addressed
whether Oklahoma state courts had jurisdiction to try a citizen of the
Creek Nation for criminal matters. On July 9, 2020, the court, in a 5-4
ruling, decided that under the Major Crimes Act, lands reserved for the
Creek Nation in eastern Oklahoma constituted Indian Country. As a result,
the state of Oklahoma could not legally try a Creek citizen for criminal
conduct in state court.

Riley and Chaudhuri discussed what this ruling means for Oklahoma’s Native
American communities and beyond.

If you missed the live program, catch the recorded event on SAR’s YouTube
channel.

*Watch here
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619625&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244593081&isbbox=1&pid=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619629&isbbox=1&pid=0>

*"How to Study Meaning at Scale: AI and Big Data Ethnography, Microcultures
and the Future of Innovation" with Ujwal Arkalgud*

*This Anthro Life* is a podcast exploring humanity through the lens of the
social sciences. In a recent episode, the host asks how artificial
intelligence, machine learning, and big data could be used by researchers
to help us understand ourselves better.

*"Culture is culture. It doesn't matter how you get at it, but the point is
in the modern context, there are certain ways to get at it in a faster and
more efficient manner. And that's what we're trying to do."*

—Ujwal Arkalgud

*Listen to the Podcast*
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619633&isbbox=1&pid=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578623&isbbox=1&pid=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619634&isbbox=1&pid=0>

*How to Publish Your First Book: SAR Press Talks to Nicholas Barron*

The mission of SAR Press encompasses not only publishing research at the
forefront of anthropology and Southwest and Native studies, but also
providing resources to our past, present, and future scholars, as well as
any scholar looking for more information about the publishing process.

To that end, SAR Press director Sarah Soliz is launching a new SAR blog
series comprised of interviews with diverse scholars who have recently
published or are in the midst of publishing their first book and who can
offer guidance and encouragement to others.

The first interview is with Nicholas Barron, SAR’s 2020 William Y. and
Nettie K. Adams summer scholar. While at SAR, Barron worked on a book
manuscript titled “Applying Anthropology, Assembling Community: The
Co-production of Social Science and the Pascua Yaqui Tribe in Southern
Arizona,” in which he maps the ways that members of the Pascua Yaqui Tribe
have selectively and creatively engaged the discipline of anthropology in
their efforts to assemble and reassemble themselves as a distinct culture
and polity.

*Read the Blog Post
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619635&isbbox=1&pid=0>*

*Join Barron for a virtual presentation about his research on December 8
Learn More
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244604967&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578752&isbbox=1&pid=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619636&isbbox=1&pid=0>

*"Working Hands, Indebted Bodies: The Bioarchaeology of Labor and
Inequality in an Era of Progress"*

*Wednesday, November 4, 2:00 p.m. (MST)*

*Hosted Online: Register Here
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619637&isbbox=1&pid=0>*

Join Alanna Warner-Smith (PhD candidate in the Department of Anthropology
at Syracuse University and SAR’s 2020 Paloheimo fellow) for her talk
discussing how "slow science" and "slow archaeology" might be applied to
bioarchaeology by looking at the Huntington Anatomical Collection and
specifically focusing on the collection’s Irish immigrants, who lived,
worked, and died in New York City in the nineteenth and early twentieth
centuries.

Taking the skeleton as a record of lived experience, life-course approaches
interpret evidence of health and activity across individuals’ entire lives.
A "slow" approach also draws together multiple lines of evidence—skeletal,
archival, and material—to disentangle the processes shaping bodies and
lived experiences. Warner-Smith’s presentation will examine the ways in
which a "slow bioarchaeology" informs the categories we use, the questions
we raise, and the phenomena that form the focus of our studies.

*Learn More
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619638&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578815&isbbox=1&pid=0>
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578771&isbbox=1&pid=0>

*SAR Artists Live on Instagram continues with Meghann O’Brien / Jaad Kuujus*

*Wednesday, November 4, 4:00 p.m. (MST)*

*Hosted Online: Register to receive a reminder here
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244607162&isbbox=1&pid=0>*

Join Haida, Kwakwaka’wakw Chilkat weaver Meghann O’Brien / Jaad Kuujus for
a behind-the-scenes look at her current projects and workspace. SAR’s 2019
Eric and Barbara Dobkin Native artist fellow, Meghann is an accomplished
textile and basket weaver who believes the display and wearing of her work,
within her culture and by people outside of her community, are important
statements that honor the traditional artistry of her people.

Log in to your Instagram account and go to SAR’s Instagram page at 4:00
p.m. MST on November 4 to watch and chat with Meghann live.

*https://www.instagram.com/schoolforadvancedresearch
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619639&isbbox=1&pid=0>*

Did you miss an *SAR Artists Live* event?

Don’t worry, we have you covered! Every *SAR Artists Live* is saved to
our *Instagram
TV
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619640&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
and our *Youtube page
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578816&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
.

New to Instagram and not sure how to access our livestreams? *Click here
for instructions
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578817&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
.

*Thank you for being part of the SAR community!*

Many thanks for your *continued support of SAR
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578328&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
during this challenging time. Your contribution makes it possible for us to
deliver quality content virtually that furthers our mission to explore
humanity and better understand the world we live in. Never has there been a
more important time to do this work. As we navigate the current
environment, we welcome your input, questions, and suggestions. You can
reach us at *development at sarsf.org <development at sarsf.org>*.

*Stay Connected*

We have created a dedicated landing page that helps you stay connected with
SAR during these challenging times by offering information on upcoming
events and engaging content on our blog. You can easily access the page by
clicking the "*Join us online here
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578897&isbbox=1&pid=0>*"
button at the top of our home page (*sarweb.org
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244619641&isbbox=1&pid=0>*
).

*We are grateful to our generous program sponsors:*

A M B A S S A D O R
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578329&isbbox=1&pid=0>

D I G N I T A R Y
<https://bbox.blackbaudhosting.com/webforms/linkredirect?srcid=25368759&srctid=1&erid=1703753856&trid=99a4fef3-d825-4349-8e7a-e939a14e2785&linkid=244578330&isbbox=1&pid=0>