[FRIAM] The last bookstore

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 5 13:38:56 EDT 2020

On 9/5/20 8:36 AM, Prof David West wrote:
> the block is just the main store - the computer/science/tech is in another building across the street.
>
> lots of small local bookstores. LA harder to find, but San Francisco plentiful.
>
> They will still be there in 2025 when you feel safe to visit the US.

What?  I thought the Civil War would be in full swing by 2025?   I do
believe books make pretty good bullet-stops.  Maybe bookstores will
become redoubts for the intellectual elite as they "just want to keep
reading books" while the revolution is being televised (I mean
facebooked, or tweeted, or instagrammed?).    I think my adobe walls are
probably better, but then I do need to do something about the big
windows!   Glad I saved all those books!

If not a true apocalypse by then, maybe it could be a movie set in the
same world as Costner's Postman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postman_(film)