[FRIAM] Today's Sermon:: a minor awokening

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 5 20:07:16 EDT 2020

Nick -

I think I read /Watchmen/ decades ago... it is a good addition to my
reading list with Mary (she has mentioned it recently)... we read books
together (how quaint).   Right now we are on Victor Klemperer's diaries
from the Nazi years in Germany as a Jewish man married to an Aryan
woman, and the slow erosion and decline of their circumstances, his
rights, and hers by association (in a time/culture where the man of the
family had primary status, and  yet the Aryan of the family had higher
status in many ways).   It is heartbreaking and very cautionary as we
watch the norms of a society get eroded away on one side as a subset of
ruthless and ambitious characters seduce and intimidate the populace
into normalizing pretty marginalizing (and ultimately brutal) behaviour
of one segment of population against the other.  Spoiler alert - the
time-period is 1934-1944 so you can guess "how it turns out".

Other (re)reads have included Moby Dick, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle
Maintenance, The Woman at Otowi Bridge (Edith Warner), a biography of
Maria Martinez (potter), the biography of Mabel Dodge-Luhan.   Not only
do these books read differently the second time around (decades later)
but in the light of a new (2+ years) partner whose backround and
perspective is radically different.   Mary is much more attuned to the
Civil Rights issues than I... she grew up in her own version of remote
(a tiny college town, Chadron NE near the Pine Ridge Rez) with a mother
who was a strong civic member and Democrat amongst mostly Republican
farm/ranch folks... her father was probably a Republican if he voted...
her brothers all rode to Sturgis, voted for Trump and are likely to
again, etc.   but/and she loves them, even if she won't speak her mind
openly on those topics with them.

My sister who dated her African American friend for a time is now in her
mid-60's asking her children, my children and even Mary and I for
"something she can read to understand 'all that'"...  She and her
husband voted for Trump but probably won't again, and in her defense,
lived out-of-country in Spain and Chile for most of their adult lives,
as part of the colonialism of American Mining interests overseas.  A
previous boyfriend was of a Mexican-American family in the border town
whose circumstance and status was somewhat higher than our own...  most
of the merchant and professional class were the grandchildren of
Mexicans who lived there when it *was* Mexico (pre Gadsden Purchase).
My parents had a similar (though more muted) reaction to him... that
surprised me as well since well over half of our friends and classmates
from 1st Grade has Spanish surnames.   They may have also questioned her
more Anglo-Normative boyfriends along the way, maybe they were just
overprotective?

Rattling on about my sister and her family, they volunteer with Central
American refugees in Tucson because they are both fluent in Spanish and
just in the last year acknowledged that maybe Global Warming was real
AND anthropogenic and maybe they should try to recycle or carpool or
something (snarky, sorry)...so there is hope...

Yes to "context and perspective"...

- Steve