[FRIAM] Today's Sermon:: a minor awokening

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 8 11:15:56 EDT 2020

I'll see your PBR and raise you a Little Brown Jug.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07T7rREzYMc

My parents who were (near) teatotallers for most of their lives would
get Rocky Mountain High (just woodsmoke and cold mountain air, none of
John Denver's roll yer own version) and sing this and other classic
songs they learned from their moonshining relatives in the "hills and
hollers" of Kentucky growing up.  They were pretty sober people (alcohol
and demeanor) so sitting around the campfire listening to them belt out
these old songs was kind of creepy.   Maybe they had a little brown jug
hidden from us somewhere?

One of my mother's Grandfathers and his brothers immigrated to KY from
Germany by way of Corning NY to help set up glass bottle factories to
support the transition from "moonshine" to the Bourbon industry sometime
around the turn of the century.