[FRIAM] SavantX in SFe

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 12 21:08:52 EDT 2020

On 9/12/20 6:41 PM, Frank Wimberly wrote:
> I saw a job listing from them which led me to a SF New Mexican
> article.  The latter said they were seeking to hire over 100
> professionals at an average salary of $90K.
>
> I'm too old.
And I am "unemployable"... on several dimensions.

But I *am* interested in the tech ecology of the region and in this age
of COVID imagine *some* people who previously strongly preferred the
in-person networking of living in urban concentrations might well return
to their roots..  And there are many more options for telework (to solve
the common two-body problem).

We already have enough draws for (usually wealthy) people to move here
from the coasts or TX and distort the demographic and politic, so I'm
not excited about accidentally becoming more of a *mecca* for high tech,
but good jobs for folks with roots here is always welcome.  And FriAM
might even attract some younger blood if there is a larger pool?   I
don't know our general demographic, but I'd say an age-indexed frequency
weighted average is probably near or above my 63.  Our "youngsters" here
are for the most part in their 50s?    At least Cody provides some sqew
away from that!

I'm also interested in the possibility that perspectives such as are
presented in books like Blackfoot Physics
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/110248.Blackfoot_Physics> might
have some traction, and the long-shot chance that one of my young Tewa
neighbors, for example,  might grow up and revolutionize this domain
through hybridization of their own cosmological perspectives and those
that lead to our current quantum technology.

Glen dismisses many things as "quantum woo" and I myself find that a
great deal of the "newage" (rhymes with sewage) perspective (and
whatever passes for neo-newage) is
quantum/laser/hologram/crystal/vibration-woo, but have a hard time
dismissing it all out of hand (as does Glen I suspect).