[FRIAM] Fwd: Probability and Statistics Seminar Announcement

Tom Johnson tom at jtjohnson.com
Mon Sep 14 10:25:43 EDT 2020

FYI

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Salins, Mickey <msalins at bu.edu>
Date: Mon, Sep 14, 2020, 7:28 AM
Subject: Probability and Statistics Seminar Announcement
To: prob-sem at math.bu.edu <prob-sem at math.bu.edu>, stat-seminar at math.bu.edu <
stat-seminar at math.bu.edu>

Dear all,

This semester, the BU Probability and Statistics Seminar will highlight the
research that our own graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are doing.
The talks will be presented online on Zoom.

Our first talk of the semester will be this Thursday September 17, 2020 at
4:00pm and our speaker will be Zack Bezemek. All of the information is
below.

Best,

Mickey Salins

*Speaker*: Zack Bezemek (Boston University)

*Time and Date*: September 17, 2020, 4:00pm

*Title*: Multiscale Mean-Field Diffusions: Large Deviations for Joint
Propagation of Chaos and Homogenization

*Abstract*: Mean-field models describe a system of globally interacting
particles where the effect of a single particle on the overall system
becomes negligible as the number of particles increases. It is well known
that in the limit as the number of particles tends to infinity, such a
system undergoes the Propagation of Chaos: each particle's behavior becomes
independent and identical to the others. Additionally, it has been shown
that the limiting dynamics may have different and more complicated
probabilistic structure than the prelimit system. The effect of introducing
multiple scales to a single diffusion process is known to have a similar
effect of creating different probabilistic structure in the limit as the
scale separation increases. We work toward exploring how introducing
multiple scales to a system of mean-field diffusions effects the limiting
behavior as both the number of particles and scale separation tends to
infinity. To do so, we study the large deviations principle of the
empirical distribution of the particles' positions in this combined limit.
All prerequisite knowledge beyond basic probability theory will be covered.

*Zoom Information: *

Mickey Salins is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Boston University Probability and Statistics Seminar -- Fall 2020

Time: Sep 17, 2020 04:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

        Every week on Thu, until Dec 10, 2020, 12 occurrence(s)

        Sep 17, 2020 04:00 PM

        Sep 24, 2020 04:00 PM

        Oct 1, 2020 04:00 PM

        Oct 8, 2020 04:00 PM

        Oct 15, 2020 04:00 PM

        Oct 22, 2020 04:00 PM

        Oct 29, 2020 04:00 PM

        Nov 5, 2020 04:00 PM

        Nov 12, 2020 04:00 PM

        Nov 19, 2020 04:00 PM

        Dec 3, 2020 04:00 PM

        Dec 10, 2020 04:00 PM

Please download and import the following iCalendar (.ics) files to your
calendar system.

Weekly:
https://bostonu.zoom.us/meeting/tJAqdumsrTMvGtNoJ-QMx805dCaG005JkQyv/ics?icsToken=98tyKuCsqToqHtedtRmARowIB4j4c-jztlxYjbdzkzWoMg1LOlOjMsFDFeIvRfLb

Join Zoom Meeting

https://bostonu.zoom.us/j/94710438507?pwd=bWh5QjFOdE4yLzNSMHJIdFFoeG91Zz09

Meeting ID: 947 1043 8507

Passcode: 508246

One tap mobile

+13017158592,,94710438507# US (Germantown)

+13126266799,,94710438507# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location

        +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)

        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)