[FRIAM] References for Nick which may interest others

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Mon Sep 14 11:34:19 EDT 2020

On Zoom last Friday Nick asked for more information about an assertion I
made that measles erases
immunity memory. This is from an email my daughter sent to me and my
college roommates (and spouses and offspring). If you need a reference
to the literature, I can probably get one from my daughter, but with
what I’m copying here, you would probably find find some with Google.

After that is a link to an academic lecture on why a Covid-19 vaccine is
“easy” when compared to other vaccines. What’s not so easy is
compressing 5 to 20 years of effort into one year. That part of the
discussion starts about at 9:20.

*Measles story. I share this with my class to give my students a
counterargument to anti-vaccine people who believe a "natural" infection
is better than vaccination, because, it's natural. The measles vaccine
was integrated into the childhood vaccine schedule at different times
around the world (1960's - 1980's). In every country, after the vaccine
was introduced child deaths from *all causes* fell drastically. No one
knew why - suggestions were that it corresponded with better medical
care, etc. In 2015, it was shown that one of the cells that measles
infects (and kills) are memory B cells - the cells that make antibodies
to all of the pathogens you've seen before. They are wiped out in
measles. After a child has had measles, they become susceptible again to
every disease that they've already been exposed to - the immune system
is essentially reset. It was known that you get major immune suppression
for a few weeks during a measles infection, but this study showed that
immune memory doesn't bounce back once you recover. This is why measles
vaccination protects children from dying of not just measles, but many
common infectious diseases. Not all pathogens kill immune cells like
that, but most throw a wrench in the works one way or another.*

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUuLDLY1wMU&feature=youtu.be&t=304
9:20

— Barry