[FRIAM] Getting You Libertarians' Goats

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:31:26 EDT 2020

Yes, online shopping does seem to be directly analogous to mall and big box shopping, engine oil right next to the organic apples! What's not to love?

More importantly, monopolies like Amazon demonstrate, once again, that the computer is less flexible than the humans using the computer. Their undermining of Etsy with "handmade" is a great example. I use Etsy to buy from locals. The narrative we were fed for "online shopping" was a diversification of vendors with a unification of end point (your door). [⛧] But what we end up with is a unification of vendor (Amazon), through an exploitation of workers and institutions, to a unification of destination. This hearkens back to wealth inequality and the permanent underclass capitalism requires.

I think it's a mistake to desperately optimize away from "needing" anything. But maybe it's purely philosophical. Part of the reason I prefer the local hardware store is because the people in there help me solve problems, regardless of whether I buy anything. Of the box stores, Lowe's seems the most interested in problem solving, but still not good. The local hardware (and feed) store people seem to get a real kick out of it when I come in with a problem to solve ... e.g. hanging a movable welding screen from a > 20' ceiling. The people at the box stores could not care less.

That social interaction, along with the pub, are about all I really get in meat space. Were I as creative or handy as you, I wouldn't need/have that social interaction at all. I used to get something similar at the book stores, not so much at Powell's, but the smaller ones. The maker spaces I used to go to had similar issues ... purchasing electronic components online is waaaay different than going to the local pack-rat dork vendor who would help you build the device with you. So, it's less about only buying what you need, and more about social learning/production. Ebooks and online shopping just does not compare and I feel sorry for those who do all their reading, making, thinking, and drinking alone in their basements.

[⛧] We were fed that narrative for personal computers, media sources, music artists, etc. Each time, the oligarchs manage to find a way to exploit resources (including duped consumers) in order to funnel wealth to their passive investments.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ