[FRIAM] Cell Press / Patterns

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 15 13:05:25 EDT 2020

Is anyone else watching this open publication:  Cell Press/Patterns?

https://www.cell.com/patterns/home

I found the following paper on correlating firearm purchase/demand with
mass shootings.

https://www.cell.com/patterns/fulltext/S2666-3899(20)30110-0

Their two models seem to ignore/exclude *my* model which is that for
many gun owners, there is a constant pressure toward acquiring more (or
at least new) weapons and the mass shootings trigger some level of
"permission" to expand or upgrade a personal arsenal.   The counter
pressure could be familial/spousal  or superego which needs to be
negotiated with to allow more resource to go into satisfying that
background pressure to acquire.   The same thing applies to my relatives
who are knitters and quilters who use most any excuse for buying more
fabric/yarn.