[FRIAM] NM Absentee Ballots

Gary Schiltz gary at naturesvisualarts.com
Sat Sep 19 13:03:59 EDT 2020

Since Karen and I both live outside the USA, but are eligible to vote and
last voted in New Mexico, we started the process of voting by absentee
ballot. I was pleasantly surprised to find that we could send our signed,
scanned request forms to the county clerk (we last lived in San Miguel
county) by email, and that we could receive our absentee ballots, along
with Affidavits of Eligibility forms, by email as well. I am in absolute
agreement with this as a policy. I was, however, very surprised that the
email, as well as the affidavit, states that we can return both the signed
and scanned affidavit, and the filled and scanned ballot itself by email or
fax. While I personally have no problem with people knowing who I voted
for, I'm sure that many people do. Such a wide open system seems rife for
potential abuse.