[FRIAM] hot time in town tonight

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Sep 20 10:58:08 EDT 2020

Dave -

I will take your claim that you do not enjoy this at face value, yet
your voice is not dissimilar to the many who seem to be enjoying
Schaden/Cassandra-Freude.   I take you to be a "fellow traveler" amongst
travelers here, albeit along your own particular (perhaps peculiar to
many) winding path.

and yet, like Noakes, it does seem to be the collective destination we
have/are chosen/choosing?  Either by our actions or by our inaction.

As a former member of a strong gun and self-reliant culture (the former
an extension of the latter?) I am quite familiar with the feeling that
somehow the collective is not to be trusted or is failing me in spite of
my implicit trust in it, and the instinct to pour all my resources into
scoping down my survival unit to something that seems manageable (e.g.
nuclear family, individual).  I believe that most refugees, for example,
have made that decision by the time they flee their homeland for a
"promised land" or at least one where their survival does not seem unlikely.

And yet, as Glen alludes and I *try* to gesture toward, we are also
social animals who need other social animals.   Our modern technology
gives us the illusion that we can survive alone, and perhaps even
neolithic hunter-gatherers could do so with their "advanced technology"
for obtaining meet, processing animal parts into more tools, weapons,
and clothing, shelter.   But this siren call to hyper-individualism
needs to be just one voice in a self-similar symphony at many scales.

It feels as if humanity is convulsing toward a pseudo manifest destiny
of having a role in the universe trying (replace the teliologic "trying"
with a more apt term "self-organizing") to become self-aware.
Whatever the negEntropy path we seem to be a part of, it feels as if we
are in an acutely near-chaos moment.   What we are up to feels to be an
epitome of Lewin's "Life at the edge of Chaos".

Are we on the verge of a Kurzweilian Singularity or perhaps one of the
many Utopian/Dystopian futures lined out by the speculative fiction
writers of the past century or two?   A cultural efflorescence or an
apocalyptic collapse?

And more to the point, does our opinion, our ideas, our will have
anything to do with our path into that future?

- Steve