[FRIAM] Tragedy of the Commons & Free Riders

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 10:40:07 EDT 2021

But the exploitation that results from profit is not the problem. Such exploitation is a good thing within some scope. Part of how one might define "tragic" is unscoped, unbounded exploitation. But this highlights the structure of my response to EricC's, now more clear, tack.

My OE *mis*interpretation of Eric's argument was my steel man. I'm disheartened to learn his actual argument is one I would dismiss out of hand. What Eric's done, here, is pass the buck. He's passed requirement for a strict, pre-DEFINITION of 'better individuals' on to the equally opaque 'tragic'.

E.g. graffiti - My ex brother in law thought graffiti a tragic abuse. I think it's a creative, stigmergic act. Where I scope/bound it is what's different between us. Me and my exBiL agree that a (expensive) commissioned mural is great! But "low lifes" tagging a neighbor's fence is bad. But we disagree somewhere in between. Those very artistic paintings on train cars are a great example. I even enjoy well-done tags marking a gang's territory. This scoping is aesthetic.

Eric's idea of engineering individuals to fit some prior conception of 'tragic', defeats the individual liberty purpose. The purpose of liberty is to explore the state space, including all the tiny cracks, including cracks that violate *any* particular local contract, including the cracks that can only be reached with *immense* accumulated wealth (e.g. NIH budgets, or landing rovers on Mars).

In contrast to Eric's pre-indoctrinated individuals, with government [⛧], we mix both the liberty to violate with the option to conform. Government facilitates such libertine violations, whereas Eric's focus on prior definition and indoctrination of the individuals would debilitate healthy disruption.

[⛧] Not merely any government, but one based on jury trials and the essentials of our Constitution.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ