[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Fri Apr 2 16:25:09 EDT 2021

I agree fully. If something is inscrutable it might exhibit free will. But
what happens in our brains is certainly scrutable. Maybe not yet with
current technology, but how can it be inscrutable in principle? In
principle we know that neurons are firing and communicate with other
neurons using synapse. Just look how far deep learning has come. Okay, not
yet compared to the human brain, but progress is made almost by the day.
Like the example I mentioned above, AlphGo that came up with creative moves
that stunned all Go experts. My point is that deep learning was inspired by
the structure of the brain and is showing behavior similar to the brain's.
Using David Deutsch's ideas as in Beginning of Infinity that science makes
progress by good explanations. The explanation that the brain is  scrutable
meets Deutsch's criteria for a good explanation. What's the alternative?
That there is some sort of ghost giving us free will? No, that's not a good
explanation.