[FRIAM] Free Will in the Atlantic

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:14:44 EDT 2021

Lucas has been mentioned by me, though (perhaps too) indirectly:

https://math.stanford.edu/~feferman/papers/godelnagel.pdf

My recent attempt to deflect Marcus' descent into the QM-Consciousness red herring was driven by that paper. I'm still enthralled by Feferman's "open-ended schematic axiomatic systems" ... and the reason I attended the Open-Ended Evolution (OEE) meetings.

Your (fantastic) attack on my suggestion that liberty scales as the objectively coherent agent scales is well-made. If there are no degrees of freedom anywhere in the world, then how can there be anything like "liberty"? And my answer is that I'm not talking about some mystical adjacent possible. I'm talking about [semi]invariance under translation. The translation *might* be in time, with or without the exploitation of some kind of freedom. Or the translation might be across space, e.g. How is Bookshop.org (not) like Amazon.com? What measures show them the same and what measures show them different? That variation, that uncertainty, that wiggle, is "liberty". And it exists across whatever (coherent) objects you might register from the ambient milieu.

And your DID article mirrors very well a sidetrack I'd like to pursue (but probably won't because I'll run out of my finite curiosity or have to get back to work) is this:

A polygenic p factor for major psychiatric disorders

I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 documents have a small network distance.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ