[FRIAM] Hybrid cars

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Apr 6 10:34:37 EDT 2021

Jochen & Other EV/Hybrid enthusiasts-

Do you know where you electricity comes from?

When I got my Volt (Ampera to you) I had to acknowledge to my purist
friends that I was driving a "coal fired" vehicle (since my Electric
Coop is still mostly coal-fired).   Of course, free (or not always so
free) markets are driving them to phase out the major coal plant in the
4 Corners area (where I apparently export *my* fossil fuel pollution and
cause the extraction of so much groundwater  to sluice the coal from
mine to plant that the land is literally settling).   I shook my tiny
fist at my Cooperative only to find that they were constrained by a
Public Regulatory Commission form building and operating their own
renewable sources (yup, we have a lot of sun and wind) until 2025.
MegaCorp regional electricity corp has a monopoly on providing them (and
me) power through that date.

I had the option of buying salvage panels (originally from Germany!) at
$.10/watt ($30 for $300W) which is a *fraction* of the new cost of such
things, and at least doesn't drive the extractive market, although it
*does* relieve the burden on the primary industry for handling a
gigantic waste stream (for operations and maintenance efficiency it
seems commercial installations of PV has a refresh cycle closer to 10
years rather than the 20+ quoted to home users)).

- Steve