[FRIAM] Instructional scaffolding - Wikipedia

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 16:44:32 EDT 2021

This sounds like a lot of big fancy words for very simple things.

>From Wikipedia:

> Scaffolding is changing the level of support to suit the cognitive
> potential of the child. Over the course of a teaching session, one can
> adjust the amount of guidance to fit the child's potential level of
> performance. More support is offered when a child is having difficulty with
> a particular task and, over time, less support is provided as the child
> makes gains on the task.

So, like.... yeah... If something is too hard for someone to do, and you
make it easier, then he/she might be able to do it. That ain't rocket
science. It also fits in perfectly well with operant conditioning
approaches (i.e., shaping, chaining). There is a reason kindergarten art
class doesn't declare you a failure if you cannot produce Raphael-esque
realism. There is a reason someone who wants to compete a dog in a dog show
doesn't start out expecting the dog to be able to do the whole routine.

Later Wikipedia says:

> Vygotsky was convinced that a child could be taught any subject
> efficiently using scaffolding practices by implementing the scaffolds
> through the zone of proximal development.

<echarles at american.edu>

Is that different than *just *saying: "A child can be taught any subject if
you give them easy bits at the start, and move to harder bits at a pace
the child can keep up with." ??

Maybe we need to add: "And if they get stuck, try giving them a bit more
guidance." ??