[FRIAM] water, again (was murder offsets)

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Apr 19 13:16:20 EDT 2021

In the spirit of generative dialog, I offer a few bits:

Some feel that the Red Queen is winning, in spite of the paradox of that
logic: Abundance  <https://www.stevenkotler.com/book-pages/abundance> -
Steven Kotler (former local associate of this group).  His arc of
point-making includes a lot of high-tech but *distributed* solutions,
like getting a 5 gallon-per-day portable water filter system to every
third world family at a "reasonable cost".   He implies the
tech/engineering is already in place, it is only the will of the first
world and subsequent logistics that are lacking.

Until a few years ago Colorado (and other jurisdictions) disallowed
rainwater collection, even at the level of roofs/rainbarrels.   They
relaxed that a few years ago but are still *very* clear about protecting
traditional water rights, if you read the details of the new, more
permissive rules: Rainwater Collection in Colorado
<https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/natural-resources/rainwater-collection-colorado-6-707/>.
I can speculate about what is really *intended* by this draconian
approach, and notice in NM it is nearly the opposite, *requiring* new
construction to manage runoff (to prevent causing erosion downstream)
from one's own property.   There was an interesting movie (Even the Rain
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Even_the_Rain>) describing Big
Businesses' (e.g. Bechtel ) involvement in water wars in the third
world: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochabamba_Water_War.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochabamba_Water_War>

I am in the very eye of the storm of water warfare (of sorts).   The Rio
Grande river runs 1/4 mile from me and the watershed it represents is
broken up into upper; middle; lower.   The demarcation between upper and
middle lands at the bridge 1/4 mile from my home, and there are myriad
things which can be  done above that point which become not (legally)
possible a few feet south.  In fact, the Buckman Well complex where
Santa Fe proper gets a lot of their water is just a few miles downriver
from me.    The Aamodt water
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_title_in_New_Mexico#The_1933_amendments>
battle is now 45 years old and attempts to effect the terms of the
settlements are underway all but literally in my back
yard.https://losalamosreporter.com/2021/01/12/kay-matthews-aamodt-settlement-signed-and-sealed-but-not-delivered/
<https://losalamosreporter.com/2021/01/12/kay-matthews-aamodt-settlement-signed-and-sealed-but-not-delivered/>

The project finally broke ground last year for a huge infiltration-well
system to extract water *from* the Rio Grande to distribute to the
Nambe/Tesuque/Pojoaque river valleys, with the goal of retiring as many
groundwater wells from that region as possible.  It is armatured around
Pueblo water rights (see link above) which includes golf courses, etc.
which many resent.  On the other hand, one can imagine how the Pueblos
resent the Spanish/Mexican/US land/water grabbing that has been going on
for 500 years with the Manhattan Project (1943) and my own property
(1960s) grabs continuing into the present.   BTW  much of the water
being extracted from the river will come from a diversion from the
Colorado basin by way of a tunnel under the Continental Divide near
Chama.   This watershed boundary disrespect might not mean much at all,
or it might be a hugely bad precedent at many levels?

For broader perspectives on this topic, I recommend this UNM Press
collection: Thinking Like a Watershed.
<https://unmpress.com/books/thinking-watershed/9780826352330>  This
phrase is a quote from John Wesley Powell who recognized the flawed way
we were *already* thinking about resource management and governance back
in the early days of the (Anglo) exploration of the West.

I would claim that water desalinization (nanotech or otherwise) doesn't
even address, much less solve most of these problems.    Which is not to
say that I think high-tech centralized (and distributed) water tech is
patently a bad idea, just that depending on it to solve the more complex
*systems* problems is misleading and could easily make things worse in
some cases.

- Steve