[FRIAM] semi-idle question

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri Apr 23 11:21:26 EDT 2021

Dave, I found this in Wikipedia:  "The social brain hypothesis was proposed
by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Dunbar>, who argues that human
intelligence did not evolve primarily as a means to solve ecological
problems, but rather as a means of surviving and reproducing in large and
complex social groups."

That might explain why we are now leading our species off the cliff.

On Fri, Apr 23, 2021 at 7:12 AM Prof David West <profwest at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> Can human beings evolve?
>
> Was reading about Pepper Moths in England during the Industrial
> Revolution. (population genetics)
>
> Population was white with dark spots and the occasional dark colored moth
> was easy prey.
> Pollution killed lichen and caused the trees (moth's habitat) to be
> covered in soot, turning them dark.
> Population of black moths went from 2% in 1848 to 95% by 1895.
>
> Is is possible for humans to evolve in response to climate change in a
> similar way? more general prevalence of melanin, craving for spicy hot food?
>
> Of course moths used many generations to achieve their change and their
> lifespan is a fraction of a humans, so extinction is more likely than
> adaptation. But, is it at least possible in principle?
>
> davew

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy
emergentdiplomacy.org