[FRIAM] thermodynamics of gambling demons

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Apr 23 11:25:31 EDT 2021

On 4/23/21 7:20 AM, Roger Critchlow wrote:
> https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.126.080603
> <https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.126.080603>
>
> If the demon "decides" to quit while it's ahead, it "wins", and the
> entropy of the universe decreases.
>
> -- rec --
>
> via https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-maxwells-demon-continues-to-startle-scientists-20210422/
> <https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-maxwells-demon-continues-to-startle-scientists-20210422/>

I was totally captivated by the Reversible Computing work presented by
Margolus, Fredkin, Toffoli in the 1983 Cellular Automata conference at
Los Alamos.   I was brand new and easily impressed by some measures but
the breadth of work presented during that week was amazing.   Even
though I stayed "in" the orbit of all that work on through the first
decade of the ALife movement,   I always felt I was pursuing a mirage
"just over the horizon".   My day job never aligned with this work so
the available time/horsepower I had to pursue it was limited.

I am not surprised to see that Quantum Computing/Information has added
it's own twist, I'd be curious if Marcus (or anyone else) has some
first-hand perspective) on this.

https://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9503016

http://people.csail.mit.edu/nhm/thesis.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billiard-ball_computer