[FRIAM] for the marketeers amongst us

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Mon Apr 26 16:37:08 EDT 2021

No, a free market system is not limited to outcome based contracts. Free
market is allowing two (or more) parties to have a valid contract on the
terms and conditions both (or all) parties agree on. A patient and an
oncologist may agree on a contract where the patient pays for the effort
and not the outcome, that could still be 100% within the free market
system. This is of course provided the authorities don't have regulations
stipulating the legal bounds of the contract.
For example, in Cape Town there are many poor people without front teeth. A
while ago an enterprising man, without any medical qualifications, set up
shop on a pavement to do false teeth at an order of magnitude lower price
than a qualified dentist. He was shut down very quickly. In a free market
system he would have been allowed to provide dentures resulting in happy
poor people with front teeth who cannot afford a traditional dentist and an
enterprising man making good money. With the regulations that protect
people we now have an unemployed poor enterprising man and many people who
are still without front teeth.