[FRIAM] for the marketeers amongst us

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Apr 26 20:35:05 EDT 2021

There’s “free” in the sense that neither the culture nor economy understood yet how to quantify or even talk about hypothetical transactions because the topics in question haven’t percolated through the population.

Usually people think of a libertarian “free” in the sense of don’t tell me what to do, but there’s also the liberal “free” of opening up more options so that new things are possible.   To be able to disengage from the economy where skills are valued in specific ways to do something else, like have time to play with a hobby.    Design a ceramic, build a boat, do whatever, just because.

It seems a common Faustian bargain is to convert the value of the skills into a pile of cash to spend out in retirement.  Of course, few people have a big enough pile of cash, or if they do, they don’t have the time to spend it.