[FRIAM] Natures_Queer_Performativity_the_authori.pdf

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 17:19:40 EDT 2021

I can't force myself to read Barad.  There is too much ambiguity in each
word for me to cope.

Modern psychoanalysis, in particular object relations theory, goes way
beyond Oedipal interpretations without discarding them.  I recommend the
Wikipedia article found at
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_relations_theory

Frank

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 3:11 PM jon zingale <jonzingale at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Psychoanalysis has much to say about boundary, object, and identity."
>
> Admittedly, I am biased against psychoanalysis[♄] but if you would
> kindly hum a few bars showing how you can see psychoanalytic methods
> used to clarify ideas of boundary, object, and identity in the examples
> brought up by Barad, well I am open to being swayed. What kinds of objects
> does psychoanalysis produce? What are their qualities?
>
> [♄] Following Deleuze and Guattari, I am critical in a few ways:
>   1. Descriptions of desire as a lack seem, well, lacking. Rooting
>   desire in a theatrical schema where an Oedipal tragedy unfolds before
>   the subject and outside of the control of the subject presents an agency
>   -free theory. I much prefer models of desire emphasizing the creativity
>   inherent in the _production_ of desire.
>
>   2. Freud (as the prototype of the psychoanalyst) misses the point of
>   little Hans' dream by projecting on the dream his own constellation of
>   archetypes and meanings rather than guiding Hans[!] through a proper
>   *discovery* as one might in Daseinsanalysis or Schizoanalysis. It is
>   another thing altogether to have the patient _construct_ their own
>   constellation, relations between the events and objects they produce.
>
>   3. Psychoanalysis appears to have, as its final goal, the outcome where
>   the patient resigns themselves to fixed relations within an Oedipal
>   trilogy, exchanging hope regarding all other possibilities in favor of
>   repeating the infinite Oedipal play. Psychoanalysis in this way appears
>   deeply committed to an eschatological worldview, death through
>   fixity all the way down.
>
>   4. Psychoanalysis appears to run into the same kinds of issues that
>   Barad's work attempts to address. To my mind, this is most clear in
>   the theories of Carl Jung or Joseph Campbell. There, in an effort to
>   arrive at archetypical universals we are handed a theory with no
>   obvious next step. What in those theories account for the possibility
>   or production of new archetypes?
>
>   [!] Even weirder in this case because Freud's interactions were not
>   even with Hans but with Hans' father.
>

> --
> Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/

Frank Wimberly