[FRIAM] Moral collapse and state failure

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Sun Aug 8 14:22:20 EDT 2021

Well, I'm from South Africa, and we have been close to moral collapse and
IMO that could have led to our state failing.

If you ask ten South Africans you'll get maybe twenty opinions, below is
just my very brief view of what has been and what is happening in South
Africa.

South Africa became democratic in 1994 with Nelson Mandela the president.
With him at the helm we had the moral high ground. His immediate successor
Thabo Mbeki also did well. But between 2009 and 2017 Jacob Zuma was our
president. He looted very seriously from the state and unfortunately under
him many people in all state organisations started to also loot. The
corruption became very deep. He is in jail now.

We now have Cyril Ramaphosa as president and it's anybody's guess, but at
least I'm very confident that Cyril is leading us again towards the moral
high ground and away from state failure.