[FRIAM] Moral collapse and state failure

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:11:44 EDT 2021

The Envy video looked like a lot of fun, but it was too long for me to sit
through it.

Regarding morality, my guess is that it's not predictability that leads
people to consider someone moral, it's acting according to a framework that
can be expressed independently of oneself. Society-wide utilitarianism
would be fine; "someone much like Trump [who] says they're an exploitative,
gaming, solipsist" and then behaves in a way consistent with that
description, would not be considered moral no matter how consistently their
behavior simply optimized short-term personal benefits. After all, to take
your own Trump example, I doubt that many people would characterize Trump
as moral.

-- Russ Abbott
Professor Emeritus, Computer Science