[FRIAM] Diffracton: minding the gap

Angel Edward edward.angel at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 17:57:30 EDT 2021

I hope someone can check out the analysis below.

If you look at the gap as a sampler, you can do the following analysis using Fourier methods:

A gap is a window on a continuous function. A perfect gap is a step function multiplying the continuous function.

In the Fourier domain, the Fourier transform of the continuous function on the input side of the gap is convolved with the Fourier transform of gap (the step function).

The Fourier transform of a step function is a sinc (sin(ax)/(ax)) function.

The width of the main lobe of the sinc is inversely proportional to the width of the gap.

Consequently, the smaller the width of the gap, the more a given frequency is distorted because the sinc is wider. Convolution applies the sinc at each frequency of the input function.

I think it gets more complicated when we add in sampling. If we take a number of samples that is proportional to the width of the gap, then as we make the gap smaller there are fewer samples, hence more reconstruction issues which is the second, often overlooked, part of the sampling theorem.

In the limit as the gap goes to zero width, there is no distortion to the continuous function but in the digital world you could have only a single sample.

Ed

Ed Angel

Founding Director, Art, Research, Technology and Science Laboratory (ARTS Lab)
Professor Emeritus of Computer Science, University of New Mexico

1017 Sierra Pinon
Santa Fe, NM 87501
505-984-0136 (home)		 	edward.angel at gmail.com
505-453-4944 (cell) 				http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel