[FRIAM] ivermectin, nope

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Sun Aug 15 12:37:48 EDT 2021

Pieter --

I looked over the links you listed.

They seem to claim that withdrawl of ivermectin caused the spike in Covid
cases in India, and also that administering ivermectin caused the end of
the spike in Covid cases.    Both of these claims are sort of hard to
evaluate, since I don't see any evidence that anyone has ever distributed
ivermectin/doxycycline/zinc kits very widely, either before or after the
spike in infections.  Constructing and delivering kits for 1.366 billion
people would have been quite an achievement for any economy.

I followed the links to https://c19ivermectin.com/ and found the list of
ivermectin studies.  The list presented currently claims 110 studies, 68
peer reviewed, 64 involving control and treatment groups, but it's puffed
up with another 50 entries which are news clippings, press releases,
meta-analyses, reviews, and other miscellanea.

I looked an early review article,
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41429-020-0336-z.pdf, though the pdf is
hosted at nature.com, it's from a different journal.

The Journal of Antibiotics (2020) 73:593–602
> https://doi.org/10.1038/s41429-020-0336-z
> Ivermectin: a systematic review from antiviral effects to COVID-19
> complementary regimen Fatemeh Heidary1 ● Reza Gharebaghi2,3
> 1 Head of Ophthalmology Division, Taleghani Hospital, Ahvaz Jundishapur
> University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
> 2 Kish International Campus, University of Tehran, Tehran, Iran
> 3 International Virtual Ophthalmic Research Center (IVORC), Austin, TX, USA
> Abstract
> Ivermectin proposes many potentials effects to treat a range of diseases,
> with its antimicrobial, antiviral, and anti-cancer properties as a wonder
> drug. It is highly effective against many microorganisms including some
> viruses. In this comprehensive systematic review, antiviral effects of
> ivermectin are summarized including in vitro and in vivo studies over the
> past 50 years. Several studies reported antiviral effects of ivermectin on
> RNA viruses such as Zika, dengue, yellow fever, West Nile, Hendra,
> Newcastle, Venezuelan equine encephalitis, chikungunya, Semliki Forest,
> Sindbis, Avian influenza A, Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome,
> Human immunodeficiency virus type 1, and severe acute respiratory syndrome
> coronavirus 2. Furthermore, there are some studies showing antiviral
> effects of ivermectin against DNA viruses such as Equine herpes type 1, BK
> polyomavirus, pseudorabies, porcine circovirus 2, and bovine herpesvirus 1.
> Ivermmust beectin plays a role in several biological mechanisms, therefore
> it could serve as a potential candidate in the treatment of a wide range of
> viruses including COVID-19 as well as other types of positive-sense
> single-stranded RNA viruses. In vivo studies of animal models revealed a
> broad range of antiviral effects of ivermectin, however, clinical trials
> are necessary to appraise the potential efficacy of ivermectin in clinical
> setting

The quick read is that ivermectin interferes with viral reproduction *in
vitro*, but fails to work *in vivo*, for all of these viruses.  It's been
tried against every virus that's turned up in the last 50 years, had some *in
vitro* anti-viral activity, but never became an approved treatment for any
of them.

It must be that the elites are consipring.  That's the only reasonable
explanation for the facts.

-- rec --