[FRIAM] ivermectin, nope

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Aug 15 14:08:51 EDT 2021

To the extent that many of our individual conditions often described as
dis-ease are manifestations of a more
spiritual-social-emotional-psychological dis-ease, it shouldn't surprise
us that "woo" which addresses (at different levels, and different modes)
the latter dis-ease might relieve the symptoms.

I don't think many argue these days that animal immune responses are
modulated significantly by the organism's level of stress, etc.   The
term "Placebo" often gets a pretty negative connotation, yet I think
most also accept that when it works, it works and one would not want to
remove "the placebo effect" from someone's prevention, recovery or
maintenance regimen.

I am personally offended by the psuedoscientific presentation of lots of
"woo", but I see how invoking lasers and vibrational energies and long
concatenated latin names of compounds and concoctions can be very
comforting to those whose only understanding of "Science" is that it has
magical/mystical properties.

This also, of course, allows the same people (or similar) to dismiss
anything labeled "Science" as and elitist charade designed to bamboozle
them into doing clearly dumb things like having "stuff" injected into
them (like bleach or perhaps something with a mercury compound)?

>From Roger's due diligence, I am left to believe that Ivermectin has
never been particularly validated for anything, though Nick's reference
seems to imply it might be useful against parasites.  I understand
Hydroxychloroquine to have been used widely in developing (equatorial)
countries as an antiviral (in particular Malaria) but with widely
varying and harsh side-effects which in those contexts might be well
worth the risk.

I'm interested to see the meta-narrative continue to evolve around
Science and Pseudoscience or some variation of that.   It is easy do
dismiss one and embrace the other, and on the surface, that is valid,
but it feels to me as if there is something much deeper and more subtle
and perhaps more broadly important going on, especially if we are
nearing the twilight of the Anthropocene, going into a long-dark night
of our own making *with* various parts Science and Pseudoscience?