[FRIAM] First of 2 questions

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Wed Aug 18 21:18:34 EDT 2021

On Wed, Aug 18, 2021 at 03:50:52PM -0600, Gillian Densmore wrote:
> I was given a PNY brand SSD for a present  about march this year. this last
> Thursday. the damn thing stopped working. As in on strike, took a dump on the
> bed. And Nothing I have done will get the F'n thing back to life.
>
> Symptoms are that it doesn't show up in BIOS, Windows thinks it's a unformated
> drive, booting into Ubuntu to try to get the fucking to to just god damn work
> gives a million errors about nodes, and F'sync.
> And my hunch is the POS has died.
> Questions!  Does thatis happen to SSD's? they'll just stop working, because,
> reasons?  Family naturally wants do stuff with a warante not sure it's worth it
> if the fucker just died.
> I have tried unplugging cables, wiggling wobling and just about everything to
> get it back to life.
> On the off chance the bastard can be revived: is their software out their to
> force the god damn thing to work? windows
> https://ibb.co/TH2rvc0 <---this is what the fucking thing does now

I have had three SSDs die on me, the last one 2018, just prior to it's
3 year warranty running out. I managed to get a replacement for that
by sending the original back to Taiwan. But had to buy a replacement
anyway (newer NVMe technology, so quite a performance bump), as I
couldn't wait for them to post back the replacement, and that
replacement is still going strong.

I have also had multiple spinning rust disks die on me over the years,
sometimes with a loud clunk and a wisp of smoke. But nothing in the
last decade or so, so maybe HDD has become super reliable.

In each an every case, I buy a new disk, restore from backups and
continue trucking. You do do backups don't you?

I have sometimes recovered failing HDDs by doing something along the
lines of (on Linux)

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sda

where sda is the name of you hard disk. This works by forcing the disk
to use some spare blocks, mapping the old bad blocks to the fresh ones.

Somewhat less successful for SSDs, though, as I suspect the
filesystems automatically do that now under the guise of "wear levelling"

Can't comment what you'd do with Windows - probably just download a live
Linux distro, and use Linux files system tools is what I'd do.

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders     hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
                      http://www.hpcoders.com.au