[FRIAM] Development of political order

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 11:26:13 EDT 2021

Marcus, the Taliban were the biggest recipients of American largesse during
the war, along with the major defense contractors (military stocks
outperformed the stock market by 58%).  We put so much money into
Afghanistan over 20 years (at least $1trillion) the country couldn't absorb
it all, and so it migrated into the hands of a corrupt Afghan government,
the warlords, and also the Taliban.  The Taliban had a LOT of resources
thanks to us.  Craig Whitlock's book, "The Afghanistan Papers" is just out
explaining all this.

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 6:42 AM Marcus Daniels <marcus at snoutfarm.com> wrote:

> Robotics seem inevitable for keeping the pressure on for this sort of
> situation.
>
> https://youtu.be/j0z4FweCy4M
>

> On Aug 20, 2021, at 5:10 AM, Jochen Fromm <jofr at cas-group.net> wrote:
>

> Why have the Taliban been able to conquer Afghanistan so quickly, although
> they were hopelessly outgunned for almost 20 years as the article in the
> Atlantic describes ("Brother... it's too cold to jihad") ? It seems as if
> Afghanistan exists only in two stable modes: tribalism where the country is
> divided among clans and tribes, and radical Islamism in form of Taliban
> rulership. Both are among the oldest forms of political order forms
> according to Francis Fukuyama (who wrote two books about the development of
> political order which I am currently reading)
>
> https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/08/what-i-learned-while-eavesdropping-on-the-taliban/619807/
>
> -J.

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy