[FRIAM] Medical treatments for some or for all

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Aug 20 15:56:04 EDT 2021

Very good material to work though, Glen, thank you,

I remember reading Walden for the first time when I was somewhat young, but not super-young, and thinking “Thoreau, you’re an idiot (or better said, a loudmouth)”.

Walk into town to buy a new axe-head every time the material on your old one is worn far enough down that you can’t sharpen it any more.  Go re-invent iron smelting and then write about it.

Interestingly, within the past 12 hours, somebody sent me a link to a talk Nora Bateson gave in Copenhagen about a documentary she made of her father and the “ecology of mind” thing:
 ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8lA8jsQkNw <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8lA8jsQkNw> )

I haec no history with this stuff, and her sort-of self-congratulatory affect puts me off (or maybe I just wrongly read that into the face of somebody I don’t know at all).  But the theme that one wants to perceive things heavily in terms of their relations seems like a hard thing to object to.  It’s funny, now that I am surrounded on one hand by category theorists, and on the other by meditators, that I can parse the same conversation as being about two rather different things.

Eric